Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 In Review

Happy New Year everyone! I hate to say it, but I'm glad 2013 is over. Ugh.... What a year. Some good things happened. Some bad things happened. Some more bad things happened. And some not-so-bad things happened. Let's review...

2013 started out well enough with me fresh into a new position with my old job, learning the ropes at a new location. Dan and I decided to move in February so I could be closer to work. For the first time in several years, I was within a 15 minute commute to work. It was wonderful.

In April, Harley was diagnosed with cancer. It was like getting sucker-punched in the stomach.

In June, just as we were preparing for the one-year anniversary of the passing of my brother-in-law, our good friend, Rev, passed suddenly and unexpectedly in a tragic accident. This was just two weeks after attending the funeral of the "old lady" of another one of our good friends, Neale, after she passed from cancer. Dan and I decide that, other than a few select days, June no longer exists in our world. The day after our friend Rev passed, I started having a migraine that I still have to this day. (Fortunately, the migraine is controlled mostly by medication.)

July 9th came, and on the one-year anniversary of the passing of my Ebony, my Harley left this realm and passed to the next. I was comforted to know that he died by my side during the night.

In August, things began to pick up with Dan finally being able to go back to school. Unfortunately, also in August, I was given notice that my position, along with many others, was being eliminated.

My position being eliminated ended up being a blessing in disguise, however, as it afforded me the opportunity to find the position I'm currently in now, where I am quite happy. Not only is my current job even closer to home, but the hours are better and there was even a pay increase.

In the long run, despite desperately missing the people I lost through the year, I ended up the year better than I began it. And for that, I am thankful. I mean, would I give up something good to have one of the bad things not happen? If it meant Harley never died, maybe. But then, change is inevitable. The fact of the matter is, if Harley hadn't died in July, it would have been some time. And I never would have been ok with it. Ever.

So knowing now what I do, would I go back and change a single moment? Never. You may wonder why I'd say that, but the fact of the matter is, when the day is done, I've got a pretty good life. And every day, every moment of my life up until this very moment right now is what has gotten me the life I have right now. That doesn't mean just the good stuff. It means the bad stuff too. So no. I wouldn't change it. Because it's who I am. And that's pretty damn good if you ask me.

Have a great 2014, everyone. Happy New Year!

No comments: