Saturday, July 13, 2013

Changing my "About Me"

It is with deep sorrow that I must announce that in the wee hours of Tuesday, July 9th, 2013, my little dragon grew wings. He fought valiantly, and even surprised me with how long he survived in the end. When he passed, he hadn't eaten in a full week and hadn't drank any water in three days. My only solace is the knowledge that he is no longer in pain. I know he was loved and not alone when he went. I miss him with every breath. I keep thinking I hear him meow.

That being said, I realized, like all the dumb things you think about in the days following a loved one's passing, that I will now need to update my 'About Me' to show that I live with my TWO cats rather than three. I refuse. He may no longer be with me physically, but he's still in my heart.

My mother cried when I told her. My mother. Cried. And told me that she hopes when she gets old and is dying, that I take care of her just as well as I did with Harley. I told her I promised I would.

My other two? They're.... adjusting. Loki mopes around, but if he sees me getting sad, he does something adorable to make me smile. Shoe has been a tad skittish. He doesn't adjust well to change. And he knows Momma is sad.

Overall, I must say I am quite lucky. I have plenty of support from my family and friends. My step-daughter, when we called to tell the children, just said, "I wish I was there to hug you." She's such a good kid. Fortunately, they all had a chance to say goodbye to Harley just days before he passed. I'm sure it will be hard the next time they are up, but we'll get through it together.

Some people might say, "He's just a cat." Right before I punched them in the throat, mind you... But the thing is, he wasn't just a cat. He was someone who has been by my side constantly for the last 16 years. He was my friend. My confidant. The one who loved me when I was unlovable. The one who kept me alive when I didn't want to be. The one who comforted me when I was sad. The one who always reminded me that life goes on, even when his was ending. I loved that grumpy, crotchety old bastard. And my life has been forever changed because he was in it.

Rest in Peace, Harley.

No comments: