Thursday, July 5, 2007

Huh?

From the WTF files, we have this. Scroll down to the bottom of the page under the heading "Optional Liability Coverage/Endorsements".

Picture this.... I'm perusing insurance companies online, trying to find some quotes for liability insurance for my chapter of Bikers Against Child Abuse. I check out the American Family Insurance website only to find Religious Institution Molestation Liability?!?!

What kind of society do we live in that it has come down to this? I point it out to my roommie and he reluctantly justifies it as a possible CYA policy. To use my husband's phrase, "That ain't right."

Is it just me? The way I figure it, any institution that purchases this insurance policy would be essentially stating that there is a good possibility - good enough to spend money on, anyways - that someone out there may accuse someone in their congregation of molesting a child.

Now I ain't saying that any religious institution that may hold this type of policy is automatically screaming "I'm a molester!" No. I understand that there are frivilous lawsuits out there these days and that there are plenty of people who see dollar signs in any large institution. HOWEVER, the coverage states "for sums that you legally must pay as damages because of injury to any person arising out of an actual, alleged or threatened act of sexual molestation." This is not legal fees for unsubstantiated cases, folks. This is coverage for people found guilty of said acts.

I'm disgusted. I mean, I had a poor view of American Family Insurance in the first place, but this makes me sick. Poor customer service is nothing to, in a way, condoning child molestation.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, since I haven't actually spoken to a rep and am only reading what's online, I have a skewed view of what this policy actually entails. But you know what? I won't ever find out. Cuz I'm telling you right now, I'm not gonna ever do business with American Family Insurance. And if I ever find anyone who is, or is even considering it, I'm gonna point out this page to them.

Molestation liability insurance..... what the ****?!

No comments: